Wednesday, March 16, 2011

A little while.


Pensamientos.
~*~
Thoughts.
~*~
















John 16:16 ~
"Jesus went on to say, "In a little while you will see me no more, and then after a little while you will see me."
... That doesn't make sense to my time-centered brain. Is two thousand years really a "little while"? I mean, I've been getting used to Tico (Costa Rican) time, which is pretty relaxed and let's just admit it, we're always late. But, 2011 years (counting from Jesus' death) is a bit too much of a stretch. Maybe Jesus was talking about how in a little while, we would have the presence of His Spirit, and that He would be with us forever. But maybe to Jesus, time is insignificant.

As the time that I have been here has been flying by at an insane speed, I have realized something. Even though I have huge amounts of evidence that this doesn't work, I still try to slow down or speed up time so that I can selfishly have more of what I want and less of what causes me pain. I pretend like I either have control over the time I have, or that I don't care. But, neither of those is true. I deeply care about the little bit of time I do have, and I don't have any control over how fast my life is going by. But God is bigger than time. He promises to use our passion to be at work and to give us and others greater joy even if it causes temporary pain - but I'm often just afraid. I have spent a great deal of time being scared and not opening myself up to what God is doing. But what can I gain from being closed? Or worse, from being lukewarm? And in this life, having already gained Christ, what can I lose?

I want to dive in with my whole heart.

"Very truly I tell you, you will weep and morn while the world rejoices. You will grieve, but your grief will turn to joy. A woman giving birth to a child has pain because her time has come; but when her baby is born she forgets the anguish because of her joy that a child is born into the world. So with you: Now is your time of grief, but I will see you again and you will rejoice, and no one will take away your joy. ... I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."
(John 16:20-22, 33)


Being here in Costa Rica has taught me that time really is insignificant, but also, it is precious. I have relationships with people here that have been built in less than six months to a level that is just as deep if not deeper than some of my relationships back home that I have had for years and years. I have built a life here. God is all over this. I see evidence of Him everywhere - which has been challenging but incredible.

I am so humbled and grateful for the beautiful hearts that I have been privileged to know here. And we still have five weeks together! It has just been hard for me these past couple weeks as I see this chapter of my life closing so rapidly. I know that this time, it will be time for me to be home. And who knows when I will be back again - but that is what is pushing me to make the most of my time here. And what have I done? I have begun to walk with the Lord knowing that in my relationships, He is sovereign. At times I do feel lonely - it has been a long journey. But what a gift of life and of relationships, not just with people here, but also with dear people at home. I am incredibly blessed!

So as the countdown to going home begins, I have decided that there are too many countdowns in life to count them all - with this particular one, I will be living fully, being here, and loving on the people I come in contact with - hoping and praying that God will use me and that He will draw us all closer to Him and to each other in the time we have left here!

God deserves all the glory. His word will not return void, but will accomplish the purpose for which He sent it. (from Isaiah 55)

~*~

Some more pictures....some old, some new...

























Much love,

Courtney
(World Traveler in Training)



No comments:

Post a Comment