Monday, September 27, 2010

Lots to process!

Oy. Today was intense. I'm getting pretty overwhelmed with everything - the Spanish, being in a new place, and having to change the way I think, talk, and act - street sense here doesn't come naturally - believe it or not, San Jose is not as safe and care free as Sunny Meadows (my neighborhood) in Birmingham, Alabama. =P It makes me appreciate how secure I feel at home! For example, you Bama students will appreciate this one... when you eat on campus, like in the Ferg, you find a table, put your backpack there, go get food, and then go back to the table - and your backpack containing your laptop and who knows what else is still there when you get back with your food! Sometimes we don't even think about it! But, yeaah. Not such a good idea here. A slight level of paranoia is necessary, like it is in any big city. But, I'm sure that as long as I don't do anything stupid, I'll be just fine. The people here are very friendly, and although I'm not crazy about San Jose, (just because it's kind of crazy here), once I get to know the city a little better I think I'll really enjoy living here! My favorite part of the trip so far though is taking trips and getting outside of the city! Plus, when we take trips, it's more likely that I can take my camera! I can't walk around with it normally. Only on excursions, at my house, and when I'm on my way to Photography class. =)

Tomorrow morning we start classes!! My schedule definitely did not turn out as I had originally hoped - I'm not going to be able to take any business classes while I'm here, and that makes me nervous because I'll probably have to take summer classes to graduate on time. But, I'm here because I want to learn Spanish, learn about the culture, and see what it looks like for me to have an international adventure. ;) I think that whatever I have to compensate for once I'm back will be worth this experience! And plus - God is in control, and He is bigger than schedules, classes, and my anxiety. So I'm trying to give it all to Him and see what happens. Meanwhile, I'm just making the best decisions that I can!

One thing that has been on my mind, (which I don't really know how to explain, but I'll try), is the poverty that I've seen so far in San Jose and close by, too. I'm hopefully going to be able to volunteer at an orphanage while I'm here, which is going to be hard, but wonderful - but the general poverty here is so real, and it's different than what I've seen before. About 20% of the families in Costa Rica are trying to survive on less than two dollars a day. And I know that the poor will always be among us, and that there are poor people everywhere, but being so close to it has definitely been thought provoking, and in a way, has made me question and think about a lot of things, like the effects of the fall, why God has me here, and what He is doing.

Anyways, I was just thinking out loud. There is so much to process! It has just been non-stop since we got here. The time I have had alone with God has been so refreshing in the middle of all the chaos!

You all are in my prayers!

Much love,
Courtney
(World Traveler in Training)

4 comments:

  1. Let me tell you that it's been such a joy to get to read your posts and see how life is like on your side of the globe. =] I am praying for you and I love you dearly. (And I can't wait to see the beautiful pictures that result from your trip and your class!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting so frequently. You hid your butterflies very well. I am praying for your time there. The class thing will work out, so do not be anxious about it. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy that you got your photography class. It was what I wanted most for you. The other classes will work out in God's timing. Please don't worry about it. I will be praying that God clearly directs your thoughts while you are considering the future. I am amazed to see how you have grown spiritually. It has impacted our whole family. I love you more than you know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kimberly - ***hug*** I love you so much! You are such an encouragement to me:)

    Dad - Hey! Sure thing. I enjoy writing on here. And thanks! I love you too!

    Mom - Thank you! I'm excited about the class and I can't wait to see you and Ally! I love you too!

    ReplyDelete