Thursday, September 30, 2010

Fiesta!

Tonight I had my first experience with the whole dance/party scene in Costa Rica! We had a "crash" party for all the Tico and International students at Veritas. The music was great, I got to dance! (yay!) And, I noticed that drinking in Costa Rica isn't at all like it is in the United States. People in Costa Rica do drink, but it's just a social thing, for enjoyment, and they're generally not just drinking to get drunk. It's refreshing! Although I still have little desire to participate, it's nice to see. And tonight I got to meet a few Ticos! And our house brother, Andres, who is a student form Guatemala, introduced us to a few of his friends! Meagan & I were really grateful to have him around. Overall I'd say the night was a success, although I do wish I could have gotten to know some Ticas. I met a couple girls, but at a party like that where it's hard to hear and everyone just gravitates towards who they already know, it's kind of difficult. But, I'm determined to make some friends while I'm here!

Honestly, I think that I have a kind of mental block when it comes to putting myself out there and investing in people while I'm here. I guess it's because I know I'll only be here for 3 months, and when I add that to how different this environment is, I get overwhelmed and want to just go back to my comfort zone. Sometimes I wish I had someone to literally push me out of my comfort zone...like tonight when I was just staying in a circle of people from the US. I did meet some new people, but I could have made more of an effort. Making the most of every opportunity is harder than it sounds! But..anyways, during the party, a drum corp came into the plaza and it was some of the best music I've ever heard! A couple steel drums, and various others - if I knew the terminology I would be a lot more specific - but, they played and danced for a while! I don't know how they kept it up that long, but it was awesome! Definitely the highlight of the night. The music here is quickly becoming my favorite type of music!

Update on the class situation - the program leaders for CEA were awesome in helping me figure out how to get the credits I need! So, although it took a while, as of now, I'm pretty sure that it's going to work out fine! I'm waiting to hear back from my UA advisor, but meanwhile, I'm just enjoying where I am and trying to do well in the classes I have. Speaking of class, I have to be in class at 8am tomorrow - so, buenas noches!


Love,
Courtney
(World Traveler in Training)

2 comments:

  1. Yeah for dancing and enjoying a night out! It sounds like the youth in Costa Rica know moderation more than those in the US!

    Let me know if you can help out with the name of a hotel. If not, I will just pick one. It is not that big of a deal. Here is our pre-plan.
    1. Explore San Jose on Wednesday.
    2. Go to the Pacific beach by bus and watch the surfers on THursday.
    3. Get you to skip class on Friday and hire a tour guide to take us to a volcano and the jungle.
    4. Coffee plantation on Saturday.

    What do you think?

    I love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's talk tomorrow! I can call you any time after 12.

    ReplyDelete