Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Pensar y soñar

There's just something inherently inspiring about living near the mountains. When I'm walking to school, and there are mountains not too far away that disappear into the clouds, I can't help but smile and think about the glorious beauty that exists in the world. But also this week, I've been reminded of the suffering in the world as well. Yesterday in photography class, we were studying war photographers - and how they take beautiful pictures amidst the unthinkable things and misery that goes on during war - taking photographs that have more to say about what people in war zones experience than any essay or article. Capturing chaos, death, and pain - but seeing beauty in it - I just couldn't wrap my head around it. The brutal honesty of the photos we looked at made me want to grieve with those people...the photography moved me. And, the photographer we were studying, James Nachtwey, took the photos with respect but without fear, and I can't imagine how he does it.
















photography class:)
~*~*~

Well, this week marks the halfway point of the program here in Costa Rica... I'm not sure what to say about it. All I know is that when I leave, I'll be leaving part of my heart here in Central America. And I'm okay with that - it's just harder than I thought it would be to start a new life somewhere and then have to leave it. I miss all you wonderful people though, so I am excited to be coming home the week of Christmas. :)

School is going well, I'm really enjoying my new Spanish class (Spanish for Business), because we're really learning about the culture of business in Latin America, plus the discussions are interesting and I enjoy the readings! I feel like I'm learning. And although my Spanish is still very lacking, I know that being fluent is possible!

Just saying - Something that has been such a blessing while I have been here is the home and the family that I have been living with! Now they are truly a second family to me, and I love them so much!

~*~*~

"Each of us should please our neighbors for their good, to build them up... I myself am convinced, my brothers and sisters, that you yourselves are full of goodness, filled with knowledge and competent to instruct one another." (from Romans 15)
























~*~

"Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain." (1 Corinthians 15:58)





























~*~


























~*~

Something I love about the culture here is the way they greet each other! It's just great. And apparently, it's Biblical, too! Obviously it's not a commandment, but I love this idea -

"All the brothers and sisters here send you greetings. Greet one another with a holy kiss." (from 1 Cor 16)























~*~



















~*~


Tomorrow I'm visiting a coffee plantation with my Spanish business class to learn more about coffee production here in Costa Rica. Getting free coffee? Yess. Waking up extra early? Meh.


ttfn!

-Courtney
(World Traveler in Training)

1 comment: